Day 12: Leaving Fort Namutoni to Camp Wewelsburg

Day 12: Leaving Fort Namutoni to Camp Wewelsburg

The plan of the day was to head out early, check out the "Tsumcore" waterhole (with a high probability of lions), then have a late breakfast and finally continue our journey back in the direction of Windhoek. We had quite a lot of kilometers to get through to get back after all.

We drove to Tsumcore but did not see a lot of animals there so then we decided to head out to the main road again. Another car was there that drove very slowly and we decided to do the same. Despite our all great efforts in spotting we could not see any animal for about an hour, but then when almost heading back to the Fort Lukas suddenly screamed out "THERE HE IS, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LANDSCAPE"

And indeed, a big male lion was walking slowly in the grass fields to our right side.

We saw him walking for a couple of minutes until he decided to lay down under a tree. One could still see his head a bit but not much more of his body. Afterwards we still tried to find a cheetah, as somebody told us there were some seen about 10 minutes before near the fort, but we did not manage to find them. Pumped about our second lion sighting we went back to the camp and had our late breakfast.

Continuing our journey we drove out of the national park. Right in front of the gate we met a group of little meerkats casually walking on the road.

During the entire stay in Etosha we also saw an amazing amount of termite hills, some of which we tried to take pictures of, but us they moved so fast we could only get them out of focus 😜 Nonetheless most of them were huge and pretty impressive.

After a long drive and a quick shopping stop we arrived at Camp Wewelsburg a small family owned farm that was between Etosha and Windhoek. We had a shower with water warmed by a fire and a nice spot for our car. Several baby goats where feeding around us and even a few peacocks. We spent the rest of the day starting to order our stuff, I prepared some blog posts and also got out the drone for another round of flying.

The family owning the place was third generation Germans, and we were told that their grandfather had originally purchased the land in 1912, and moved there after the first world war had ended. They had also hired a few people to help out with the farm, who where currently staying at the camp as well. After recovering from the day we had a good, final night of sleep in our tents before we had to bring back the car.

If you want to report a typo or other error it is as simple as marking the text and pressing ctrl + Enter
Then fill out the form that appears and done :-)
Thank you ❤️